Mine 2018 - Testing Times
For the world’s Top 40 miners, 2017 was a remarkable year. Having executed cost-saving strategies of the past few years and with margins and cash-generating ability improved, we saw near boom time profits.
In PwC's latest analysis they find:
- Market capitalisation up 30% to $926bn
- Revenues increased 23% to $600bn
- EBITDA rose 38% to $146bn
- Net profit up 126% to $61bn and forecast to rise to $76bn in 2018
- Employee costs increased by 5%
- Female board representation increased to 19%
Strong balance sheets are tempting the Top 40 mining companies to pursue bold investment and growth opportunities, but to deliver value on a sustainable basis, miners must remain disciplined and transparent in the allocation of capital, and stay focused on the goal of mining for profit, not for tonnes.
With such strong industry performance, miners will be faced with Governments looking to increase taxes and royalties, unions will demand pay rises for workers and shareholders will seek to receive increased dividends.
So what does this mean for the year ahead?
DOWNLOAD MINE 2018