Austmine Members Annual General Meeting - Chair's Notes
Last week, Austmine held our Members Annual General Meeting in Perth. This was an opportunity to review the FY16 financial report and discuss our key accomplishments over the last twelve months, as well as elect 5 board members.
Austmine Chairman, Alexander Kachellek, gave his address at the AGM and reflected on what has been a brilliant year for Austmine. His transcript is below:
The 2016 financial year was a very good year for Austmine in terms of growing our membership, influence and reach.
- Austmine’s membership grew to approximately 350 organisations, an increase of 23% from the end of the previous financial year. Our network continues to strengthen and provides a dynamic platform for knowledge-sharing and collaboration.
- We added 8 new people to our team with the appointment of 7 Business Advisors across the country who deliver the Entrepreneurs’ Programme on behalf of AusIndustry, and the new role of Membership Services Officer, located in our Sydney office. This doubled the size of our operation.
- Austmine continued to focus on supporting members to penetrate export markets. In partnership with Austrade, Austmine led missions to New Caledonia, Russia, Chile, Mongolia and Kazakhstan which resulted in potential orders of over $300m.
- We signed a collaboration agreement with METS Ignited. The agreement provides a framework for how we will work together to strengthen Australia’s position as a leader in innovation and to enhance the global competitive positioning of Australian METS.
- We had a banner year for participants at our Austmine events with some 2200 people in attendance. Across the country, we welcomed speakers from Rio Tinto, Newcrest, Oz Minerals, BHP Billiton, OceanaGold, Adani, Whitehaven Coal, Centennial Coal, Metro Mining and Iluka Resources for our Smart Mining Networking events and our Austmine PwC CEO luncheons and breakfasts.
- Our Austmine 2017 International Conference and Exhibition was launched – to be held in Perth next year this will again be a great event and a highlight in the global mining calendar.
- We were once again a Foundation Partner of the International Mining and Resources Conference (IMARC) 2015, held in Melbourne in November 2015. Along with our very successful technology stream, Austmine held a VIP member-only networking event that comprised over 120 VIPs, and our ‘Meet the Miners’ breakout session.
- Our new webinar series attracted over 1000 registered participants and featured export market insights, business improvement tips, and quarterly Innovation and Collaboration panel discussions.
- Austmine worked to strengthen our relationship with mining companies and in this reinforced our messages of innovation and collaboration. Our new Customer Connections Supply Chain Workshops, funded by the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science, allowed companies to better understand procurement and contracting issues with major customers.
- In June we held the first of our Mining Collaboration Laboratories here in Perth. This workshop brought together a range of mining and METS leaders to discuss key challenges facing the mining industry today.
- In promoting our member’s capabilities, we launched a new monthly newsletter specifically for miners, which is circulated to approximately 1000 contacts.
- We have also increased our online promotional activities through increased social media marketing on behalf of members, conducting industry Q&As with members.
- We launched our inaugural Austmine Innovation Mentoring Program for the METS sector and it has proven to be a huge success with great feedback from participants and mentors alike. Our second mentoring program is now underway.
In closing, a special thanks to our industry partners Etihad, Resource Super, AkzoNobel, and Donhad, who has recently become an industry partner, and our Industry Leaders Downer and PwC. And thanks to all our members for your great support. We are only as strong as our membership enables us to be, so our success is also your success and we thank you for your continuing support.