Case Study: Mine-to-Process Optimization of Polyus Gold Operations
This was originally published online by Hatch.
Increased gold production and revenue at remote Polyus sites
Polyus PJSC | Russia | 2016-2020
Increased revenues of over US$30M per year
Integrated optimization strategies for all Polyus sites
Throughput increases of over 10%-16%
Record gold production levels in 2019
- Located in Siberia and the far east regions of Russia, Polyus operations are remote and experience climatic extremes, reaching temperatures lower than -30 degrees Celsius.
- The aim was to increase gold production while minimizing costs per tonne of concentrate to improve overall profitability from mine-to-plant for Polyus operations: Blagodatnoye, Olympiada, Verninskoye, and Natalka.
- Conditions and ore types are different at each of the operations, so a rigorous approach to mine-to-process optimization was used to identify integrated strategies from mine-to-plant, tailored for each operation.
- At the Verninskoye mine alone, the optimization project helped Polyus reach record gold production levels of 2.84 million ounces in 2019, which translated into a staggering increase in annual gold revenues of over US$30M.
- Polyus CEO Pavel Grachev noted that the company continued to examine new brownfield opportunities within its existing operations and stated that at least one initiative that had been approved “will add approximately 40 000 oz of incremental volumes in 2021.” This will result in a further increase in revenue of US$60M at current gold prices.
“The work done by Walter Valery and the group of Hatch specialists contributed unparalleled expertise to our project and helped us achieve significant improvements across our operations. With their extensive knowledge of operations, Hatch specialists easily translate their deep scientific and research knowledge and technical solutions into straight forward recommendations that can be implemented in our operations.”
Alexander Tokarenko | Chief Operations Officer, Polyus PJSC
To access the full case study, including Hatch's solutions which involve extensive ore characterization and SMC testing, please click here.
For more information on our mine-to-process capabilities, please click here.
For more information about SMC testing, please click here.