STEM+ Business Fellowship Program - SME Business Grants
What is STEM+ Business?
The SIEF (Science and Industry Endowment Fund) STEM+ Business Fellowship Program is a new program which places science, technology, engineering and mathematics early-career researchers as researchers-in-residence with Australian small and medium businesses (SMEs) for two to three year projects. The program aims to build deeper connections and collaboration between researchers and SMEs, accelerating the adoption of new ideas and technology, and helping SMEs grow into larger and more profitable organisations. It will also create a cohort of researchers capable of addressing national challenges.
STEM+ Business grants are funded by the Science and Industry Endowment Fund. The program is managed by the CSIRO’s SME Engagement office.
STEM+ Business Projects
CSIRO’s SME research facilitators work with businesses to facilitate financial assistance in the form of a STEM+ Business grant, worth up to $105,000 per annum to support projects involving:
- The placement of early career researchers from Australian publicly funded research organisations and Australian universities with SMEs; and
- Development and implementation of new ideas with commercial potential.
STEM⁺ Business projects are two to three years in duration, and businesses are required to make a cash contribution that matches the value of the STEM⁺ Business grant.
Eligibility – Who can access STEM+ Business?
- Australian SMEs who have demonstrated the capacity and capability to benefit from engagement with the research sector through Research Connections, Researcher-in-Business or equivalent projects, and
- Australian SMEs that would be eligible for Research Connections or equivalent programs, if they applied.
- SIEF is providing $7.9 million over five years to support the STEM+ Business program. With co-investment from participating research organisations and SMEs, this program has the capacity to deliver up to $24 million of research projects with Australian SMEs.
For further information on CSIRO’s services in the SIEF STEM+ Business Fellowship program, please contact Simon Hanson, Acting Director, CSIRO SME Engagement Centre on (03) 9545 2752 or firstname.lastname@example.org