Austmine STEM METS Career Pathway Program
The Austmine STEM METS Career Pathway Program for 2020/2021 is now open and offering students the opportunity to receive a paid internship at one of Austmine's world-leading member companies. This initiative is supported by METS Ignited.
The program will raise awareness of the METS sector within the next generation of employees and work to change the perception of a mining industry career from “old-world” to one filled with technology-driven, entrepreneurial opportunities.
The program is designed to provide students on-the-job experience, mentoring and soft skills training for a successful STEM career in the METS sector, through a ten week paid internship at an Austmine member company. Participating students also receive online coaching, honorary Austmine membership and ongoing support through their internship.
What does the program include?
- Industry information sessions, where students will be able hear from host companies on the internships they are offering, and ask any questions they may have about the program and the sector.
- A series of webinars featuring industry speakers to provide coaching for the successful students on starting a career in the METS sector.
- A 10 week paid internship at a participating METS company, during the summer period of 2020-2021.
- Access to our dedicated STEM METS Careers LinkedIn group, to connect those wishing to network with our sector.
Member Companies - Why Participate?
- An application screening and interview process provided Austmine to access the next generation of highly skilled STEM Workers.
- Diversify your workplace with second, third, fourth year and Masters STEM interns.
- Support your sector’s future by educating young engineers, scientist, mathematicians and technologists on career options in the METS sector.
- Strengthen your connections with universities for both research and educational links.
- Interns can provide new perspectives and help with projects or tasks.
- Be recognised by Austmine and the broader METS community as leaders in the sector.
- Ongoing support provided by Austmine throughout the program
Interested in hosting a student for a paid internship for the summer break 2020 - 2021? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the application form and more details about the program. We will officially open in May 2020 for business applications.
Austmine will be hosting a number of information sessions for students during the month of June. These sessions will provide students with all the information about the program and give them a chance to ask the Austmine team any questions. Participating employers in the program will also be in attendance to discuss the internships they are offering.
The sessions will take place on the following dates;
- Wednesday 10th June 2020 | 12:00pm – 1:00pm AEST
- Wednesday 17th June 2020 | 3:00pm – 4:00pm AEST
- Wednesday 24th June 2020 | 5:00pm – 6:00pm AEST
If you would like to register for one of the above sessions as a student, please email email@example.com. Be sure to include your full name, university email and the year of study you are currently undertaking. METS companies interested in the program are also welcome to join.
STEM METS Career Pathway Program Information Brochure - Employers
FAQs for Participating Employers
STEM METS Career Pathway Program Information Brochure - Students
FAQs for Students
2019 Program Highlights, Austmine
2019 Student Interviews
2019 Post Program Intern Interview | Michael Gunawan, RCR
2019 Post Program Intern Interview | Hanne Newman, Geological Survey of NSW
2019 Post Program Intern Interview | Ahmad Amound, RME
2019 Post Program Intern Interview | Joel Christie, Bluefield
2019 Post Program Intern Interview | Demi Li, Intov8
2019 Post Program Intern Interview | Kriangkrain Waisurasing, AMC Consultants
2019 Post Program Intern Interview | Kazi Khubaib, Interlate
2019 Post Program Intern Interview | Sachin Fernando, CRC ORE
For further information, please contact Karlena James, Project Director or 02 9357 4660.
" Tiana was working along side some of our other graduates and fitted in well. During Tiana's time with Newtrax she attended a number of client visits as well as a mine site visit which I would suggest gave her a real appreciation of what mining is really all about".
Simon Waghorn, VP APAC, Newtrax
"Overall, Austmine STEM Program is a well-organised program for helping students gain more real-world experiences. I am absolutely grateful for having this opportunity to participate in the Austmine STEM program and work for Intov8"
Demi Li, Intern, Intov8